going up a weight
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blackcabmal
Apprentice
Apprentice

going up a weight

by blackcabmal » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:56 pm

Hello
I have just lined a room in my house with 1200 Albany lining paper from Brewers and filled any gaps Very few with fine filler,nightmare to sand,any way well pleased with the results and was wondering when i do my hall and landing soon what would be the advantages of going up to 1400 against the pitfalls,can a competent diyer handle paper like that.
Thanks

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:09 am

Personally I prefer to crossline (hang horizontally) uneven walls with a fairly heavy duty lining paper- 1000 or 1200 is fine - , sand and finefill any blemishes on this, and vertically hang a lightweight lining on this. This gives the old plaster strength and a smoother finish to paint onto.

Works for me!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:04 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

rigga
Ganger
Ganger

by rigga » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:07 pm

blackcabmal, hi just read your post regrading going up a grade, no point if walls are in good condition, however if the walls are in a poor condition and the surface of the plaster ius loose then it would not be a good idea to hang a heavy linning on these walls, as when this heavy linning dries it would pull of at the joints due to lack of adhesion, even if this was sized with glue size or pva. I would as swidders said hang two layers of six hunred grade both horizontal and virticaly

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:51 pm