Gravity fed shower has low pressure how can I increase it?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Leo
Labourer
Labourer

Gravity fed shower has low pressure how can I increase it?

by Leo » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:38 pm

I have a basic shower that is fed from a hot emersion tank & cold gravity fed supply. The cold supply is coming from the roof/ceiling and the hot is from the floor boards. When we turn on the shower it does not come out as a spray but as as if it was coming out of a faucet/tap. i.e. the shower head does not act as a spray. If I move the showerhead lower the flow gets better and we get a spray from the head. but as soon as i move it up again to a higher position we lose the flow. can anyone help please?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:09 am

Really the only way to improve the situation is to install a booster pump. This effectively turns the shower into a power shower.

You could increase the height of the header tank, but this may not resolve the problem if the shower is a high pressure only model.

Leo
Labourer
Labourer

by Leo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks for the reply, I presume these booster pumps are noisy? also does it fit onto the cold pipe or the hot pipe? as these are not fed together from the same point. i.e. one comes from behind the wall up from the floor and the other from the ceiling down the wall. Finally, Any ideas what type of booster is the best to use for this problem.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:16 pm

Leo,
You could try replacing the shower valve and head with one designed for low pressure, you need something which is claimed to work at 0.1bar or thereabouts.
end

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Yes, shower pumps are a little noisy, but of course only run when the shower is in use.

They are twin impeller pumps such as

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... -0bar-CT75

Generally pumps are available in 1.5 bar, 2.0 bar and 3.0 bar. 1.5 gives a reasonable shower and 3.0 the best, but may cause the hot and cold water to run out if the shower is run for an extended period.

Can be fitted under the bath, in an airing cupboard or even in the loft although you must check the spec as the lack of height may cause a negative head.

Undoubtedly, there will be some extra plumbing involved, but if you use plastic Speedfit, it will be fairly easy.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:05 am