Grouting glass tiles
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
la123la
Labourer
Labourer

Grouting glass tiles

by la123la » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:33 pm

I am about to attempt to tile with glass mosaic tiles. There is a post from someone who has had problems with grouting this type of tile and the answer was to seal them before grouting. What should I use to seal them? Is there anything else I should do to avoid any problems with glass. Thank you

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:21 pm

If you have a smooth glass tile which is non-porous (as opposed to a textured or pitted) surface there is no need to seal first. If they are not smoothe I'd use someting like Lithofin Stain Stop- but its rather expensive for a single job.

You might lke to consider a grout release product which makes cleaning after grouting easier but in reality you'll be fine treating them as ordinary glazed ceramic tiles if thy are smooth glass.

Cheers

www.tileexperience.co.uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by www.tileexperience.co.uk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:44 pm

sealing and tile protection systems are rarely needed for glass tiles. the main problem most have when fixing and grouting glass, is that they treat them the same as ordinary tiles.
jsut be aware that the highly polished surface is soft and also more likely to scratch.
ideal adhesives and grouts are cement based, and my advice would be to use mosaic fix to fix them with, and use a fine formula grout to finish, being fine, these are less likely to scratch.
when grouting, use a good quality sponge, don't rush it, and rinse often making sure no grit is caught as it will scratch the tiles

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:59 am