GRP Flat Roof
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gbs2u
Labourer
Labourer

GRP Flat Roof

by gbs2u » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Help! After covering my flat roof extension with an expensive Glass fibre covering I was pleased with the end result, both in looks and weatherproofing. but now after a few minutes of sunshine on it, the roof starts expanding and contracting and the resulting noise is awful, late at night when cooling down is the worst, no one has slept in the room yet.(almost a year) I,ve tried various threads and so called experts to find a solution - any ideas? All the installers never mention anything about noise from expansion/contraction.

VK
Apprentice
Apprentice

GRP Flat Roof

by VK » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:18 pm

did you not use insulation, like kingspan stuff, that would have helped reduce the noise coming through.

have you spoken to the manufacturers, do you know what roofing system /brand they installed, Topseal, Polyroof a few to name. its probably worth giving the manufacturers a call to see if they can help.

do you know if its a warm room? if so they must have used insulation like kingspan.

PS: i too am looking to get my flat roof done with GRP - Topseal roofing system, your post is making me think twice....

gbs2u
Labourer
Labourer

by gbs2u » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Now seems that it is the edges of the roof - sides not fixed to wall plates - that allow to much movement upward! Have put concrete blocks along these sides (only as a test) and it seems to have stopped the noise. Will sort a remedy out to replace blocks if this indeed is the answer. Will post at a later date as to outcome. But seems like all verges/edges need to fixed firmly down to prevent movement.

VK
Apprentice
Apprentice

by VK » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:49 pm

just thought I'd let you know, I spoke to a couple of GRP (fibreglass roof) manufacturers (Polyroof and SRS flat roof) as I'm also getting a GRP flatroof. I happen to ask them why a flat fibreglass roof would make so much noise, is it due to expansion and contraction but been told that it sounds like it that the roof may have been installed in wet weather (over damp decking) and as a result it is slowly losing its bonding from the deck (ply or OSB3) so its basically making noise as its comes loose, once the whole roof becomes loose it will become a floating roof and will not be water tight.

I think you should get the cowboys back and get them to have a look at it mate.......

Please post back on your progress/findings.

gbs2u
Labourer
Labourer

by gbs2u » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:00 am

Hmmmm...... the roof was done on one of the hottest, sunniest days last year (admittedly there wasn't many of them) and the decking was perfectly dry, the blocks that are holding the edges down seem to have done the trick!!! Had very big frosts this week with sunny days (Cornwall) Need to wait for hotter days but feel quietly confident that with better securing of preformed edges the problem is solved.

Zecis
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Zecis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi - Is the roof still quiet??
I am building a study in the garden, and was thinking GRP is the way to go, as everyone says polycarbonate is noisy in the rain. I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks
Adam

Zecis
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Zecis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi - Is the roof still quiet??
I am building a study in the garden, and was thinking GRP is the way to go, as everyone says polycarbonate is noisy in the rain. I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks
Adam

chanaws
Labourer
Labourer

Re: GRP Flat Roof

by chanaws » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi
Mthe edge trim of my GRP roof is not stuck on and and parts is bowing. Please see photos.

Can anyone please recommend how I can stick this down.
Attachments
IMG_2720.JPG

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:40 pm