GU10 vs low voltage
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
colourblind
Labourer
Labourer

GU10 vs low voltage

by colourblind » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:53 pm

Just sharing my opinion on GU10 (mains voltage) and MR16 (low voltage) halogen lights:

Despite the identical appearance (different fixings) of these 2 bulbs, I realised that GU10 casts an uglier light pattern than the MR16, the latter gives a smooth gradation from bright to edge, while the GU10 pattern shows the shape of the element, definitely not a smooth pattern at all - avoid!!

colourblind

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:13 pm

The GU10 as quartz is not as efficient as the extra low voltage version mainly as it has no voltage regulation and getting different angles and diffusers are not so readily available. Plus in areas where safety is requires ELV there is on option.

However the GU10 is not interchangeable with the Dichroic GZ10 and therefore less of a fire risk. It is available in cold cathode versions. And although no quartz lighting should be dimmed where it is required it is far easier to dim. And because it does not require inverters easier to wire.

So they both have advantages and disadvantages over each other. However these small lights were designed for local lighting and I would consider they need to be within around 3 to 4 foot of area to be lit. However they have been used in many cases well out of their design spec. I have two pods either side of my bed with these as reading lamps for which they are ideal but also have them in bathroom in ceiling which really is no good at all.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:25 am