Half my radiator heats!

Postby ardevans » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi All,

I currently have a problem with my radiators not working properly - the boiler heats the hot water as well and this is fine. When you try and turn the heating on, the pilot light is fine and the top half of the radiator heats up but the bottom is either luke warm or cold. After about 30 mins it then seems to stop working!

The pressure is just under 1.0 and I have bled the radiators but to no avail.......any ideas?!
ardevans
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby The Heating Doctor » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:33 pm

Could be debris in your rad, when you bled them what colour the water?
The Heating Doctor
Progress to next rank:
4.7%

Postby ardevans » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:36 am

It was pratically clear, almost like tap water....... the property is only 3/4 years old.
ardevans
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby htg engineer » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:56 pm

Check and maybe turn up boiler thermostat - you say the tops of the radiators heat then after about 30mins it stops working ?
so the boiler goes off and wont come back on ?
or it goes off then comes back on ?

The bottom of radiators wont get as hot as the top - as heat rises.
htg engineer

Postby ardevans » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:24 am

I am aware that heat rises.........but not this quickly, or without leaving any heat on the bottom!

After 30 mins it just switches off though there never seems to be a problem with water.
ardevans
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby marrtin » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:08 am

Sounds like it could be an airlock in the system. Try shutting off all radiators that are getting hot. If you're lucky the extra pressure will force the air into the cold radiators.
marrtin
Progress to next rank:
58%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!