Halogen light blown & caused issues, Sparx can u help pl
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Swainy
Labourer
Labourer

Halogen light blown & caused issues, Sparx can u help pl

by Swainy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:34 pm

I posted some details regarding the problem a few weeks ago but had some of the info mixed up. Sparx thank you for replying and hopefully you may be able to help me with the problem now I have double checked the cables. OK, a few weeks ago my bedroom halogen light blew and took all of the other lights out too. Once the electric was back up again the bedroom light wouldnt work. I have since taken the light fitting down and had a look at the transformer which seems to have been singed by the blowout where the wires come out of it hense why it is no longer working. I just want to double check what I may have done wrong for this to happen as this is the 2nd time in 6 months this has happend. The wires that come down from the ceiling are 3 red (taped up), 3 green and 3 black, these come down in 3 bigger grey casing the reds are altogether but the blacks and greens are mixed if I remember right??. It seems strange as all the other rooms have different wireing (green, brown and yellow)? The light I have brought has a green, brown and blue connection wires. Can you help in advising how this should be wired up? Also in my last post sparx questioned the reds being taped together, I have since seperated these which has now stopped the bedroom light from working with any other light fitting also the hall light no longer works? In addition to all this the kitchen light stopped working a few days after the bedroom altough I have tried another light fitting in there and it works fine so looks like the fitting had gone..... Sorry for a rather long and complicated post.... Thanks in advance :)

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:36 am

Hi swainy,
All three reds wired together, thess are in coming and out goings lives and a switch wire supplying live to the switch.
All greens together these are your earths.
You have 2 blacks that are in coming and out going blacks and a black to your switch (this should have had a red tag or sleeve on it at the light) these will hard to determine which is which with out test meter. So at your switch disconnect, The black and red cable note where they belong and tape up bare cable with insulating tape.
Now leaving one of the black cables unconnected, group two of the blacks in the terminal on the light fitting with blue lamp flex cable then check that all your other lights are working (not this one), do this, changing the blacks untill they do! Once you have the right combination the spare black belongs to the terminal with the brown lamp flex at light fitting. (This is your Black switch cable and should be marked with red tag or sleeve) If you also notice that the red cable coming out of same grey PVC covering is also switch cable.
Now reconnect cables at switch and as long as your wiring was correct in the first place that should have done it.
Remember safe isolation at all times whilst using electrics,
Best of luck and kind regards
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:17 am