Hard Wiring Electric Oven
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Libby
Labourer
Labourer

Hard Wiring Electric Oven

Post by Libby » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:46 pm

Hi,

My current built in single oven is one that you plug in to a normal 13amp socket. I have chosen a new oven which says it requires hard wiring and cannot be plugged in as before.

Can someone explain what hard wiring means and whether it would be a big job to change to this different type of connection.

Many thanks for any help.

Libby

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:15 am

hard wire basically means no plug and socket. This is required for items with high earth leakage. It is normally done also with items requiring more than 13 amp but not required 32 and 63 amp plugs and sockets are available but unusually in domestic homes. With an oven I would expect it has more than a 13 amp supply and would need new cables from the oven to the consumer unit. Most ovens have Watts rather than amps so to help you convert amps times amps = Watts so 13 amp = 2990Watts in rough terms 3Kw. The trips have preferred sizes so 16 amp = 3680Watts and 20 amp = 4600Watt with 25 amp being 5750 Watts and 32 amp = 7360Watts.
Up to 20 amp we normally used 2.5mm cable then we use 4mm for 25 amp and 6mm for 32 for a cooker we would normally run 6mm so it could be used for most cookers that are used in Domestic premises.
But you really don't need to know as Part P regulations have stopped the English and Welsh from installing new circuits unless they are qualified so all I have said is really for information only.
The big thing is if it says must then likely to be high earth leakage which means it would have to be tested to ensure everything was A1 or you could get dangerous voltages and even if you live in Scotland I would advise it is fitted by an electrician and you ensure you get all the test certificates from him which in turn means he can't cut corners and really has to test.

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Kenj » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:46 am

Slight typo there from ericmark.
Watts = Volts x Amps (not Amps x Amps)

However the sums were right
230 Volts x 16 Amps = 3680 Watts.

Hopes this clears up any confusion for any budding mathmaticians out there..

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:30 pm

Woops Volts x Amps = Watts I have slipped up on last answer. Sorry

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:40 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
Last edited by TheDoctor5 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:32 am