have cold water coming into kitchen but no hot water .
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
a
Labourer
Labourer

have cold water coming into kitchen but no hot water .

Post by a » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:14 pm

I have water out of kitchen tap out of cold outlet but no water at all from hot outlet. There is no water at all in upstairs bathroom. Could this be a frozen pipe? .I have already telephoned northumbrian water who have advised that there are no problems in my area.Please help Thanks

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dave From Leeds » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:36 am

You haven't said what type of CH and hot water system you have. Your post suggests to me that it's a conventional system with a hot water storage cylinder. A couple of questions.
1. Is the central heating working?
2. Is the toilet working and filling OK?

Your post also suggests that the cold water supply for the upstairs bathroom is taken from the cold water storage tank that feeds the hot water cylinder, rather than directly from the mains. It could be that the pipe(s) coming from this tank to the cylinder and to the bathroom cold taps is/are frozen. If no cold water can get from the storage tank to the hot water cylinder, you will not get any water from the hot taps, even if the cylinder is full and hot. If I were you the first area I'd check would be around the cold water storage tank. This is likely to be in the loft.

Good luck. For information, I'm not in the trade, just a happy DIYer.

a
Labourer
Labourer

Post by a » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:47 am

Dave From Leeds wrote:You haven't said what type of CH and hot water system you have. Your post suggests to me that it's a conventional system with a hot water storage cylinder. A couple of questions.
1. Is the central heating working?
2. Is the toilet working and filling OK?

Your post also suggests that the cold water supply for the upstairs bathroom is taken from the cold water storage tank that feeds the hot water cylinder, rather than directly from the mains. It could be that the pipe(s) coming from this tank to the cylinder and to the bathroom cold taps is/are frozen. If no cold water can get from the storage tank to the hot water cylinder, you will not get any water from the hot taps, even if the cylinder is full and hot. If I were you the first area I'd check would be around the cold water storage tank. This is likely to be in the loft.

Thanks i have a combi boiler .The central heating is working fine. The toilet is not refiliing when flushed and no water is coming from both hot and cold taps in bath and sink.just cold water from kitchen sink

Good luck. For information, I'm not in the trade, just a happy DIYer.

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dave From Leeds » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:51 pm

a,

Did you mean to add something as well as just quoting my post?

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dave From Leeds » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Oops, sorry, I've just come back on to find your comment embedded within the quote of my post. I'm mystified now. Maybe someone else can help.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Yes it does seem to be a frozen pipe.

htg

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:17 am