heating first or sciming? (plastering)
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vw754
Ganger
Ganger

heating first or sciming? (plastering)

by vw754 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:36 am

Im having the plasterers in to scim all the walls,theyve said get the new central heating..boiler/pipes and rads installed first then we can sort it out,the rads can be removed prior to plastering,but they said if new pipes are to be installed best plaser after this......friends tell me they should scim the walls first as they will find it difficult to scim behind central heating pipes.....which is the best way?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:58 pm

hi vw754,
put as much of the central heating in as possible, any holes or gaps can then be rectified by your plaster, the rads can come off easy enough, don't see a major problem with pipe work being in the way unless surface mounted?
Regards
KB

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:13 pm

If you are paying the plasterer to do the job and he wants it don this way if it looks carp after he has finished you don't pay him until he has completed to your satisfaction surely. It's his decision / request. You shouldn't dictate to him on the basis of what your friends say, frankly.

Cheers.

vw754
Ganger
Ganger

by vw754 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:26 pm

Thanks for the info,appreciated! The pipes are surface mounted in kitchen,hallway and living room. Front room and upstairs is under floorboards.......oh 1 more thing if i have pipes mounted in the wall do i have to tape them with special tape? i was told plaster eats copper pipes.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:08 pm

Hi,
again get as much of heating pipework installed as you can. Wher it is wall mounted may be a good idea to talk to your plumber and plasterer and see if they could work together for you to get a satisfactory finsh.
Copper pipes buried in plaster walls, I have got into the habit of running them through plastic conduit as they do expand when heated and contract when cold and could cause plaster to crack. Not sure about corrosion reagarding plaster and copper.
Regards
KB

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:49 am