Heavy Shower Door Hinge Pulled out of Tiled Wall - How to Reattach?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NeilBramley
Labourer
Labourer

Heavy Shower Door Hinge Pulled out of Tiled Wall - How to Reattach?

by NeilBramley » Tue May 20, 2014 11:31 am

I came home to find my shower door has fallen off the wall. As you can see in the pictures it is a heavy glass door, and the wall is made of small tiles on plasterboard. It has to go back in the same place as before as it only just fits in under the sloping ceiling, but I'm not sure how to secure it in the same place where the big pulled-out holes are now..

How can I secure the door back in the same position so it will not fall again? Is there some strong filler material that I can fill the holes with and then redrill? What kind of plugs/screws should I use to get the strongest possible hold?

Any help much appreciated!

pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (50.97 KiB) Viewed 4645 times

pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (50.44 KiB) Viewed 4645 times

pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 4645 times

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Heavy Shower Door Hinge Pulled out of Tiled Wall - How to Reattach?

by proptech » Tue May 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi Neil

It looks like the original fixings were not up to the job, and the holes are now enlarged. It could also be that water has got in round the hinges, and softened the plasterboard.
There are many types of cavity fixings on the market, but I doubt if any are going to hold in that situation. There's also the problem of having fixings that are compatible with the drillings in the hinges, and corrosion proof.
Is there any way you can gain access to the rear of the area, even by creating some damage in another room, and insert some timber to fix to.
There's no way you could fill, re-drill, and expect a lasting repair.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:19 am