Help adding a Spur

Postby ree2008 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi all I was looking to add some spur sockets in my house all the upstairs have single sockets in each room i have been told you can convert single sockets to double is that right? Also 2 rooms have 3 wires Live Neutral Earth but the landing and one bedroom have 3xL 3xN 3xE in the back could i add a spur to these sockets? Would be grateful if someone can give me some advice
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:00 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:07 pm

If you go to ... s/updates/ there is a PDF called BS 7671:2008, Corrigendum (July 2008) if you down load at the end there is a diagram which shows exactly what you are allowed to do.

You can either convert single sockets by removing back box and replacing with a double box and the new socket will sit like old one did. Or you can get special sockets which allow a double socket to be fitted in single socket box these stick out a little more than normal socket.

Where you already have a spur you can't add a second and from what you are saying you already have spurs. You can swap for double socket.

When adding spurs first you have to locate a ring main this will have two cables and when tested will confirm the ring is intact sometimes people in the past may have not followed the rules so just because there are two cables don't automatically assume it is a ring.

If you can't test you should not be doing the job. Loads in projects section and also be aware of Part P and the new regulations which require all sockets now to be RCD protected.

Postby ree2008 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:37 pm

I have the pull cord in my bedroom to turn the light on/off how would i put a light switch instead of using the pull cord? Also my downstair rooms have not got switches to turn the lights on/off you operate the lights via the hallway which controls the landing aswel as the lounge and dinning room is it possible to put the light switches in the rooms? Please could anyone help????
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Postby kbrownie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:40 pm

It is possible, but it sounds like and no disrespect, that you don't have the experience or knowledge to do this. I recommend you get an electrician in to do this work as it will need to comply to BS7671 and need to be certified.
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Postby ericmark » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:07 pm

Look at post "No wiring necessary!" once you have read tell us if that answers your questions?

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics