Help/Advice needed with brick pillar...
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
miggins
Labourer
Labourer

Help/Advice needed with brick pillar...

by miggins » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:55 am

[url]http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=Rv5SpgucEqIkRtvjTp%2FRew%3D%3D[/url]

Basically I am looking to remove this brick pillar (see link to photos). I have started to remove the first few layers on one side to see what was inside. Im after advice as to wether it is supporting to beam above and if it is safe to remove.

I can see another vertical support inside the brickwork which has been plastered and painted at some point in the past. The horizontal beam has been rendered and painted black to make it look like a wooden beam which has also been rendered all the way to the wall. The wall behnd the brickwork has also been plastered and painted.

There was also a fireplace in the same red brick when we moved into the house so Im wondering if the brick pilar was put in purely for cosmetic reasons to tie in with fireplace?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated...[/url]

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:39 pm

miggins,
You need to get a builder in to give you advice as to whether the pillar is performing any support function - It looks just decorative but do not remove any more until you have further on-site advice.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:08 pm