Help and Advice Required on Emulsion Paint for Kitchen Cabinets

Postby Seasons » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi everyone

I am hoping someone can advise here. I would like to paint my kitchen cabinets using emulsion paint, this is because I painted the adjoining room with a beautiful shade of green in emulsion and the wooden furniture in a darker shade of green. It looks beautiful. Now ,y kitchen cabinets are dark wood and I cannot find a kitchen or bathroom paint in the same colour or anywhere near it. So....I am wonerdring if I sugar soap all the cubboards, lightly sand, use a couple of coats of good undercoat, lightly sand in between and then add the top coat of emulsion or maybe two. Let dry throughly for a week or so and then wax....would this block grease and steam. I don’t want to add a top coat of clear varnish as I have done this before and for some reason the varnish turn yellowish after a while.

So I was wondering if by waxing this would be okay for kitchen cupboards.

All advice welcome.

Many thanks
Seasons
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby Dunny79 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi. Personally I would avoid using emulsion on kitchen cabinets. If you take your paint to a paint supplier they’ll match the colour. An oil based finished would last a lot longer. Satin wood looks great. it’s got a semi sheen to it. You’re right to wash the cabinets down first. I used methylated spirit on mine to kill any grease and then gave it a good rub. I would then prime the cabinets. I use a primer called ultra primer sealer from Johnstones
Dunny79
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!