Help! laying new flooring over old joists
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
robbiesnugfit
Labourer
Labourer

Help! laying new flooring over old joists

by robbiesnugfit » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:34 pm

Hello,
I'm trying to lay an new t&g oak plank floor on old existing joists. In all the web sites they suggest that the joists should be a minimum of 300mm centres for best results. My joists are 450mm centres - is this going to be a problem?
Also if the but joint at the end of the plank lands between the joists, what is the best way to support the join?
I would be gratefull for any information anyone can give,
Rob

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:44 pm

Very unlikely to find and existing floor with 300mm centred joists Robbie and 400mm is about the norm. It depends on the thickness of the planks you have and if they are any thinner than 22mm we would not lay them on 450mm centres. The planks are always cut onto the joist so there is no overhang. See the project on the website called replacing a timber floor.

mack4
Apprentice
Apprentice

New flooring old joists

by mack4 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:53 pm

If the flooring is T&G all round it will be OK to lay without cutting back on the joist.To cut back will result in an inordinate amount of waste Just try to have the ends of adjacent boards on "either" side of the joists.Take it from an ex pro.
mack

Not OK at all unless you put extra noggins in to support joint Mack It wont be long before it starts springing and you will wish you did it properly.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:44 am