Help Needed With Noisey Pod Room Floor

Postby gregc72 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:06 am

Hi there
I am in real need of some help .
I have spent all my savings on having a pod room built of my kitchen roof as an extension to my existing loft .
The problem is the builders have just nailed and glued chipboard down onto the joists and structure they have built but when you walk on the floor it is ridiculously loud with creaky noises !!
It's really loud .
The builders say that this loud creaking will go in time once the wood joists dry .
Does this sound right ?
I am just so nervous as my existing loft does not do this .
I am having hard wood floors put down am laid out a few but you can still hear it very loudly when I walk on these .
Is it worth me asking them to take the chipboard up and check the joists ?
Thanks so much
gregc72
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby diydoctor6 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:49 am

I'm not sure that the creaking will go as the timber dries out. When timber dries it shrinks and this is likely to allow more movement, and therefore creaking.

This is worth investigating further or at least getting the builder to explain their logic.
diydoctor6
Progress to next rank:
55.3%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!