Help - Selling Home vs planning perm/building regs
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
huntley51
Labourer
Labourer

Help - Selling Home vs planning perm/building regs

by huntley51 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:46 am

Hi
I am in need of help/advice. We are looking to sell out house and discovered that we should have had plan perm and build regs on the rear open conservatory extension we had built just over 4 years ago. I have been in touch with local building regs and council and have got all the necessary paperwork to apply. I have also instructed a SAP assesor to conduct an energy assesment on the property to aid us with getting building regs sign off (this I was advised to do prior to applying by a building inspector). I wanted to get the house on the market in two weeks time however neither plan perm or building regs will have been signed off and passed through by then (fingers crossing they will be) At what point would this pose an issue with a sale. I am assuiming when a solicitor would be doing searches etc ???

Any help advice would be great please I don't want to wait another 8 weeks before I can market my property as it would then fall into the summer holiday period which is known for being very quiet.

Thanks v much

DevilDamo
Tradesman
Tradesman

by DevilDamo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:49 pm

Have you told the local authority how long the works have been completed because in my opinion, it may be too late for them to take any enforcement action anyway.

However, if you do need to apply, the planning process and fee's would be the same as if you were applying prior to the works commencing on site. As for the building regulations, you would need to apply for a Regularisation certificate, which deals with works that have already been completed but should have had approval, etc... The fee's for this are a little more than if you were to apply prior to the works commencing. The BCO may ask to expose certain elements of the build too so they're confident the works have been done correctly.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1