Help
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chatterbox
Labourer
Labourer

Help

by chatterbox » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Help

I really need some advice. My parents live in a 2 bedroom semi detached bungalow which smells musty and damp. In fact the smell gets into everything including my things when I visit. When I told them about this they said they didnt know what i meant and cannot smell anything! I am particularly concerned because my dad has had a terrible chesty cold for the past few months that he doesn't seem able to shake off. All their belongings have this terrible smell and it is now very noticable when they visit other people homes and leave their coats hanging up for example. The bungalow has a suspended timber floor and there are no visible signs of damp inside the property. I have also been in the attached neighbours home and this too smells very musty. Any advice on where to start, things to check or look out for.

Thanks in advance :?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

musty smell

by welsh brickie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:42 am

sounds like poor ventilation,check that there is adequete underfloor ventilation,clear any weeds etc from them and check if it smells from the airbricks,I suspect that under the floor is bare soil,if it is you may need to install more.

chatterbox
Labourer
Labourer

by chatterbox » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. My Dad is going to check airbricks tomorrow :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:22 am