help to change a 2 gang dimmer light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stephenbanbury
Labourer
Labourer

help to change a 2 gang dimmer light switch

by stephenbanbury » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi I was wondering if any one could help me with changing my light switch in my house. I have a 2 gang dimmer switch in my living room, this is the only switch for my lights in the room, one dimmer turns on the main light in the room and the other turns on two wall lights in the room. The switch has blown on both so I want to just simply replace it from a dimmer with a 2 gang switch. I turned off the 6 amp trip switch in the main fuse box and opened the face plate. ive dubble checked the wires and the live is off. When it was open the first this I noticed is one red wire was not screwed in properly and now hanging out and I don't know what hole it was in. The other thing is one black wire is not connected to the switch and is taped up. When I get the new switch how I and where do I connect the wires. Thank you for reading
Attachments
2.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: help to change a 2 gang dimmer light switch

by Mr White » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Leave the black wire as it is.
The red wire that is not connected to anything can only go in 1 terminal (since it is the only terminal with nothing in it) It goes to the terminal adjacent the single blue wire. (Please note, the hole next to the blue wire is just a hole, as it is for a terminal not required)

Note which wire is in which terminal then connect the same configuration to your new switch.
(I would also suggest you mark each wire differently with a marker pen, and then take another picture)

stephenbanbury
Labourer
Labourer

Re: help to change a 2 gang dimmer light switch

by stephenbanbury » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:57 pm

thank you very much :-)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:10 am