Help Wanted With Installing Ring Pro Doorbell
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wishka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Help Wanted With Installing Ring Pro Doorbell

by wishka » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Afternoon all,

I'm looking for some advice.

We are looking to install a Ring Pro however I have a question of how to get it installed in a tidy and safe manner.

The Ring Pro requires 16-24v. Our current doorbell is wired, from the button to the bell, where there is an inbuilt tansformer as shown here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/DaGNPZNEInc4QWC83

The pro comes with a transformer to place in the consumer unit but I do not have space and do not wish to incur the cost of a sparky to replace this.

What do you think the best option is for me here? Should I fit a small garage style consumer unit in place of the old bell box to secure and hide away the transformer? Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find another bell with a built in transformer outputting sufficient power which would be the easiest answer.

I'm not bothered about losing the bell btw, I'll just use the included mains powered one.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help Wanted With Installing Ring Pro Doorbell

by Mr White » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Why don't you buy a stand alone power supply? it will be better, cost less than a garage consumers unit, and less grief.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Consumer Unit means a type tested distribution unit, to keep the type testing you can only fit items which have been tested with it, so unless you got a ring consumer unit you can't fit a ring power supply. So if consumer unit is MK then everything inside it needs to be MK.

The instructions show a wallwart transformer the set I found showed the Australian version, but clearly they normally don't have the transformer built into the consumer unit.

I looked for rating but could not find it. 16 volt is quite standard for a door bell.

wishka
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wishka » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:29 am

Hi all,

I really didn't want a plug in transformer, my first thought was to get hold of a replacement bell box with a built in transformer outputting sufficient power however these seem hard to find.

The UK variant I am looking at comes with a transformer for the CU - https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/artic ... an-Version

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:30 pm

Even if you got an adaptable box, a din rail, and cable glands and put the transformer in the box You would still have to put a mains flex on it, and put a plug on the flex to plug it in.

So it would still be cheaper to buy a plug in power supply, and it usually comes with fitted plug.

wishka
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wishka » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:44 pm

I'm not sure I have explained myself very well. The reason I wanted to avoid the plug solution, is that I already have mains wiring to the doorbell. The only issue, is the transformer in my installation is built into the bell unit and does not output sufficient voltage.

If I could just wire up a new transformer, in place of the old integrated one, that would solve the issue, but I have been unable to find a suitable wall mounted transformer outputting sufficient power.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 am

Any one can only go by what is "said"

So, in your case, why not buy an adaptable box, a din rail, cable glands and mount the supplied transformer in that, then take your mains feed into the box?

A "din rail" is what you mount things on, it is also what you will find in the back of a consumers unit.
"Cable glands" are to stop a cable from chaffing on anything, and they also hold the cable secure.
An "adaptable box" is a box which you can adapt to suit the requirements of the job in question.

wishka
Apprentice
Apprentice

by wishka » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks for the replies, I think I have my solution, taking on board what you have said. I'm thinking this will do the job nicely and can simply take the replace of the old bell / transformer box.

https://www.eleconline.co.uk/zdriverel/ ... W0QAvD_BwE

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 10:22 pm