Help with a big quote
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
skewball
Labourer
Labourer

Help with a big quote

by skewball » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:38 am

HI

Sorry if this is not the perfect place for this but basically I have a ‘review my quote’ request. Grateful for any views.

I have had a national company come in and quote (will hopefully get some more quotes but not easy for this job) to completely replace by heating system (boiler plus ALL piping across a 4 double bedroomed house). I would love some peoples opinions as to how the quote looks. I’m in the South West.

Quote:
Combi Boiler £870 (stupidly don’t know details yet but A rating and a ‘32’ size (?)
Boiler Instillation/wiring/connections etc (combi replacement) £870
All necessary system water treatment plus Magnaclean filter £280
Fitting Wireless Thermostat and 14 new TRV’s £940 (I think I have 14 radiators)
Replace all 8mm plastic microbore piping with copper piping (14 radiators, 4 double bedrooms/ensuite/large hall & lounge): £2,700

Total £5,600

I therefore see this in two parts. Firstly the Combi boiler replacement plus valves etc etc. £2,900. And then all the piping work for £2,700.

The background to all the piping work is that I have lived with a microbore system failing on me for years. And having spent a very very hard 2 days trying to flush out one (of 4) manifold with a plumber friend only to find it blocking up again 12 months later then its at my request to replace the whole system. It’s going to be a big job and It’s probably more difficult to judge. Currently most of the upstairs radiators are virtually stone cold.

That does leave £2,900 for the boiler etc. I’m thinking that the boiler price (depending on what it is) and the installation is not daft but that the £940 for the TVR’s and thermostat fitting etc look a bit steep,
Any views?!

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Yeah abit expensive - all the main national companies are.

Get the written quotation with all radiator sizes, boiler etc etc.
Then you could buy it all yourself (radiators, boiler, trv's) and just get someone to install.

Get a few more quotes, try to get some recommendations off friends/family for decent engineers/installers. Or get your small local heating companies to give quotes.

I bet they undercut them by 1-2000 not just a couple of hundred.

If you are going to use more than one bath/shower at any one time - then I would re-think getting a combi.

Htg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1