Help with electric patio heater
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RickyK
Labourer
Labourer

Help with electric patio heater

Post by RickyK » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:07 pm

I am thinking of buying an electric patio heater rated 1.3kW to install on an outside wall. At present I have a security light on this wall. Am I right in thinking that the rating of the patio heater is too high to be included on the downstairs lighting circuit?

If so, could I take the cable through the wall to plug into an inside mains socket (the heater comes with a 5m cable)? The other possibility would be to have an external weatherproof mains socket but I guess this would have to be RCD-protected and on a dedicated breaker (more expense!)? I have recently had new flooring put in so would be reluctant to have it taken up to put a new line in from the consumer unit to outside.

I would be grateful for any advice... :D

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Help with electric patio heater

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:51 pm

[quote="RickyK"]I am thinking of buying an electric patio heater rated 1.3kW to install on an outside wall. At present I have a security light on this wall. Am I right in thinking that the rating of the patio heater is too high to be included on the downstairs lighting circuit?

If so, could I take the cable through the wall to plug into an inside mains socket (the heater comes with a 5m cable)? The other possibility would be to have an external weatherproof mains socket but I guess this would have to be RCD-protected and on a dedicated breaker (more expense!)? I have recently had new flooring put in so would be reluctant to have it taken up to put a new line in from the consumer unit to outside.

I would be grateful for any advice... :D[/quote]

RICKY WHOA ! LIGHTING CIRCUIT RATED AT MAX OF 1.2KW
ON NO ACCOUNT RUN A HEATING APPLIANCE FROM A LIGHTING CIRCUIT. DANGEROUS PRACTISE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE HEATER AS U SAY IS FOR YOUR PATIO , WHICH IS OUTDOOR WORK.
THIS IS AUTHORISED WORK ONLY BY REGISTERED ELECTRICIANS ,
AND COMES UNDER PART P.
U NEED TO GET ADVICE FROM YOUR LOCAL EXPERT.
BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi RickyK,
If you have a skt on the wall inside best way is to get registered Part P sparks to run back-to-back out door RCD socket, such as #880300 from 'loblite', or possibly cheaper , an RCD Fused connection unit taken from adjacent indoor skt , through wall to weather proof outdoor skt. again part P work, so No DIY,
OR buy a gas one they are much less directional!!!
Can't believe I said that as all patio heaters environmentally damned!
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:10 am