Help With Painting MDF and What Top Coat to use
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Zelda68
Labourer
Labourer

Help With Painting MDF and What Top Coat to use

by Zelda68 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi. Would like some advise please on painting MDF kitchen cupbord doors.
I have read on internet that Leyland acrylic primer and undercoat is the best to use.
But im not sure about the top coat of paint and a sealer.
Also do I use brushes or roller?
If roller do I use foam or fiber?
If anyone can advise me that would be great.
Than you P☺

Rodgydodge
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Help With Painting MDF and What Top Coat to use

by Rodgydodge » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 am

Hi Zelda68,
Yes I would use the acrylic primer. The top coat depends on what sort of finish your going for? Very much a personal taste.
If I was painting Kitchen units Yes I would first prime with an acrylic primer lightly sand then apply 3 coats of an oil base eggshell sanding between each coat gradually reducing the grade of sand paper until the last one used is 0000 or very fine. Oil base eggshell will give you a professional finish and probably won't even need to seal it, its very durable too. However time consuming. If you go for emulsion paint again give a few coats lightly sand between each coat, last coat if using brush, stroke it gently to remove brush strokes (laying off) like brushing air or so my paints tutor used to say. good technique with oil base too! when dry you can seal it with a water base varnish. if you want a matt finish use Dead Flat water base varnish dry's in no time.
hope this helps

Zelda68
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Help With Painting MDF and What Top Coat to use

by Zelda68 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi. Thanks for the good advise. I will be starting this mammoth task at weekend.
So fingers crossed it will look good.
Thanks P

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:09 pm