Help With Toilet Handle and Toilet Running on
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
IAN60
Labourer
Labourer

Help With Toilet Handle and Toilet Running on

by IAN60 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:56 am

My toilet keeps running on , when the cistern is full water keeps running in to the toilet it goes on for about 30 minutes before eventually stopping. How can I stop this ?
Also the handle be pulled out about 1.5 inches and I don't see how it can be fixed in so that this cannot happen ?
Would be grateful for any help !
Attachments
cistern.jpg
cistern.jpg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
IMG_4047.JPG
IMG_4047.JPG (35.78 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
IMG_4046.JPG
IMG_4046.JPG (36.34 KiB) Viewed 2473 times

deekgfpw
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Help With Toilet Handle and Toilet Running on

by deekgfpw » Thu May 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi Ian,
It sounds like a problem with syphon unit leaking inside. It should not let any water through to the toilet unless flushed, so I would advise changing that. Quite a simple job, just undo the large nut underneath cistern, disconnect the hook to handle and replace unit. These can be bought quite cheaply from the likes of B&Q.
As for the handle coming out, you could try fitting a spacer to the handle rod.
With the handle pushed home into the front of cistern, measure the distance between back edge of the threaded bush that the handle runs through and the plastic arm (with hook in). Cut a piece of plastic pipe just shorter than this size. Undo screw that holds plastic arm to handle rod, remove arm and slide pipe over handle rod. Replace the plastic arm and tighten screw. This will now stop the handle rod sliding through the threaded bush.
Hope this is helpful!

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Help With Toilet Handle and Toilet Running on

by plumbbob » Thu May 08, 2014 9:57 pm

Modern toilets don't have external overflows so water continually flowing in to the bowl after the cistern has refilled is usually caused by a faulty inlet valve which causes the cistern to over flow.

Test the valve by flushing the toilet then as it is filling, gently lift the inlet valve float by hand until it reaches the stop. The water flow in to the cistern should cease within no more than two seconds. If it continues to dribble then the valve is faulty and needs replacing.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:27 am