hole in wall!

Postby laloo » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:52 am

I have just removed an old gas heater from my house. When i removed it i found that there was a hole in the wall going directly to the exterior of the house to a metal vent. Does anyone know how I can fill this in? I have no idea.
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:45 am


Simply Build It

Postby thedoctor » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:21 pm

Remove any metal vents carefully, see our projects on mixing mortar, replacing a damaged brick and pointing brickwork. This will teach you how to lay bricks or brick pieces in the hole. The hole can then be plastered over. See our project on plastering. If the external hole needs to be "Fair Faced" brickwork, ie what you do is to be seen regularly, then use a hammer and bolster chisel to Cut out any brick pieces through which the hole was drilled so you end up with a square shaped hole rather than a round one. Try and keep the remaining bricks "whole" so the bond of the bricks stays intact (one brick overlaps the one below it by half of its length). Then fill the hole with new brickwork.
Site Admin
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:15 pm

Postby laloo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:48 am

Thanks, that's a great help, i'll get to work!
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:45 am

Postby TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:23 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!
Site Admin
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics