Holland Damp proofing
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
yaseen4
Labourer
Labourer

Holland Damp proofing

by yaseen4 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:41 pm

Hello recently I bought 100 years old mid terrace house. I am having problem of rising damp, condensation and mould.
please I need advice about holland damp proofing can solve my problem. If any one has experience regarding this problem.

Thanks.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Damp, rising

by Perry525 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:27 pm

Please tell me why you are confident that you have rising damp?
Condensation, thats very likely, but how did you decide you have rising damp?
Any proof?
Perry

yaseen4
Labourer
Labourer

DAMP PROOFING

by yaseen4 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:20 pm

Thanks foe reply and advice. So what is the best and permenent solution for rising damp. Please advice me.

Thanks a lot.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Rising damp

by Perry525 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:36 pm

Yaseen, think about this.
If you have identified rising damp in one of your outside walls, then it may be that the damp is due to earth or a path bridging the damp proof course.
In which case, moving the earth, or digging up and then lowering the path will solve the problem at no cost.

If there is a damp proof course and some houses of that age had them you will find it level with the bottom of your front and back door frames. If you look carefully, you may be able to see two layers of slate between the bricks.
Just lower the ground about 9 inches.

It may be that one of the slates is broken?
Or there is no damp proof course. (Then the next part will apply)

Now if the rising damp is in one of the party walls, walls you share with the people next door. It may be their fault a leaking tap perhaps?

In this case you should speak to them and ask. Do you have a problem with rising damp? Or a leaking pipe?

If they say. Yes, we have rising damp!

Then the procedure is to squirt a damp proofing solution into the walls at floor level. (Or lower if you can) First you take off the skirting boards, then knock off any plaster that is behind them, drill 12mm holes at the joins in all the bricks in one row. This will solve your problem.

Its a lot of holes and hard work as its at floor level. But buying a
SDS hammer drill and some cream on the internet and doing it yourself is very satisfying. And it will save you a great deal of money!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:52 pm

Please see the 10 or so projects we have on damp and rising damp. All the advice and products you need are there and certainly investigate other possible causes before spending money treating the effect rather than the cause. The presenter of our damp projects offers free advice with no obligation and we have worked with them for years so they can be trusted completely.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 pm