Honeycomb plasterboard
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rory1981
Labourer
Labourer

Honeycomb plasterboard

Post by rory1981 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 pm

My semi-detached first floor walls are of the honeycomb plasterboard, fairly thin type. I am lloking to fix a heavy (19kg) LCD to the wall, but i cannot find the studs!!!

I have heard that the wall is made up of the two plaster board sheets bonded with the honeycomb paper inbetween. These are all in one and are modular slotted into aluminium frames??? Is it safe to use some sort of drywall fixings to just screw the 4off screws for the panel onto the plasterboard?

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dan the man » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:33 pm

No, I wouldnt just screw into the plasterboard for your fixing, even with plasterboard screws its not safe enough for the weight of an LCD TV, you will need to somehow find the metal studs, its probably the old metal C frame, I would cut the plasterboard out and fix either more metal to the original metal stud or screw timber to it, its not worth it for the sake of a couple of hours work. I'm not sure how your room is wether its decorated or not but I wouldnt risk it personally. You could even buy a joist finder from D.I.Y store and have a look for the studs see how far apart they are.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:37 am