Hot water from cold tap
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
petemcn00
Labourer
Labourer

Hot water from cold tap

by petemcn00 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:34 pm

Hello, grateful if someone could help me....

I have just had a Salamander pump put on my system adjacent to the hot water tank to increase the pressure on the shower. The pump appears to be connected correctly with the cold feed in from the cold water tank in the loft and out to the pipe that connects to the cold taps on one side of the pump. On the other side of the pump the hot feed comes in from the top of the hot water tank and out to the pipe that connects to the hot taps.

However, when the pump is running, the cold water tap is warm. After investigating further it seems that cold water tank in the loft is being filled up with hot water?!? Furthermore the toilet cistern is now overfilling also!

Grateful if someone could advise...

The plumber has said that it is because the cold water taps should be fed by a supply directly from outside?!? However I thought that it is only the downstairs taps that should be supplied from the outside main?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:50 pm

petemcn00,
You presumably have monoblock mixer taps and these are allowing hot and cold water to be inter-connected when the tap is off. The problem with the loo is because you have a low pressure valve fitted.
Call the plumber back and get him to sort it, your only mains fed tap must be the one in the kitchen but any combination of other taps mains fed is quite common. Making your upstairs taps mains fed will lead to even more problems.
end

petemcn00
Labourer
Labourer

by petemcn00 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks for that.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:14 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:42 pm