All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
heps
Apprentice
Apprentice

hot water in CWS tank

by heps » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:22 pm

HI All

I have a problem with my CWS tank i went up to check it out when it split and found out after changing it that some how the tank is getting hot water in it and I dont where from the vent pipe goes into the tank but I dont think its the vent at fault I felt the cold water feed pipe to the water cylinder down stairs and this was very hot. The tank is so hot that the overflow runs with hot water that you could shower in ??

Any ideas ??

Heps

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:58 pm

You need an RGI - possibly just a faulty thermostat - but could be very dangerous - fatal if a plastic tank above a bedroom.

Turn off boiler and do not use until it has been repaired.

htg

Happichap
Labourer
Labourer

problem with Cold Water Tank

by Happichap » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:15 pm

Good Morning Heps,

I had a similar problem some years ago. Hot water was getting into the cold tank and causing it to overflow just as you describe. After much thought I concluded that this can only happen if there is damage to the indirect coil in the hot tank. I installed a new hot tank and to prove my theory cut the tank open and there was a split in the inner coil.

Hope that this will be of some help tp you. I spent months going to the cold tank and lowering the water level with a bucket just to stop it overflowing past the kitchen window!

Regards, Happichap

tytherington
Apprentice
Apprentice

hot water in cws

by tytherington » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:59 pm

turn off mains stop tap or hold uo ball valve turn on hot tap if water level doesnt drop quickly your problem is coil inside cylinder

tytherington
Apprentice
Apprentice

hot water in cws

by tytherington » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:01 pm

turn off mains stop tap or hold uo ball valve turn on hot tap if water level doesnt drop quickly your problem is coil inside cylinder

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:21 am