House built in 1908 - Fireplace - Asbestos???
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Seansmrs
Labourer
Labourer

House built in 1908 - Fireplace - Asbestos???

Post by Seansmrs » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi guys & girls,
Need a bit of advice please....
Tonight we've done a bit of demolition lol.. we've known that there was a fireplace behind a wall that had been covered up very well with boards and cement. Decided to rip it all off & hey presto we have a beauty of an original brick fireplace.

My question is, do you think any type of asbestos would of been used in the cement, or boards that covered it up?? I can't see any type of fibres, but don't have any idea of when it was covered up, I'm guessing over 20 years ago as the lady who lived here previously to us what here for 10 years.

I am slightly worried incase we have disturbed anything!! Please help!!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

asbestos

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:59 pm

There could be asbestos in the boards but that would have to be analyzed by an expert.
Just wear a mask and gloves and keep it sprayed with water to keep the fibres down and bag any suspected asbestos.Take it to your council depot they should dispose of it for you.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:43 pm

The rules about asbestos are designed for the benefit of people who work with asbestos every day.
In the normal way there is asbestos in the air we breath every day.
The occasional extra exposure to asbestos is not a problem.
Drilling or machining asbestos is not recommended.
White asbestos, the type used to make thousands of garages and sheds can be ignored.
Blue asbestos used to insulate high temperature pipes in ships and factories etc must be avoided.
It is very unlikely that there is any asbestos in or round a typical fireplace.
If you are concerned look up Health and Safety - asbestos.

Seansmrs
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Seansmrs » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi guys, thanks for your reply. I had someone check it out, its all ok, just horse hair used.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:20 pm