House Inspections
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tim Wood
Apprentice
Apprentice

House Inspections

by Tim Wood » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:39 pm

Hello.
I would be grateful if you could find a few moments of your time to answer a question.It concerns House electrical inspections.As I will be putting my house on the market soon I understand that at some time I will have to have one. The house is 30 years old,I did have the consumer unit replaced 12 years and added a RCD unit between the supply and the new consumer unit.What I would like to know is it a safety inspection or will it have to comply with the new regulations?

Regards Tim

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi
Have you had a look at the Part P project in the projects sectio. This may provide you with some useful info: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm
Cheers

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:44 pm

A periodic inspections report does as name suggests reports on electrical system there is no pass or fail the non compliance item are give a code 1 to 4 and any 1 or 2 coded faults will really need attention but cat 3 or 4 are more informative to assist with future work for example where items would now have a RCD and before it was not required it will attract a code 4 and this tells anyone you is contemplating work they may need to add a RCD when for example adding a fan in a bathroom. A periodic inspections report is required every 10 years or on change of ownership and there as far as I know nothing to say who has to do test seller or buyer but until bought ownership has not changed so I would check with an estate agent. Also who may do the periodic inspections report many consider the inspector should hold a C&G 2391 and being registered under a Part P system has nothing to do with ability to complete a periodic inspections report. There is nothing in black and white so again as estate agent. If you follow links to Part P there is a sample of the forms used of go onto IET web site for up to date version without "On Line Version" printed across it.
Eric

Tim Wood
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Tim Wood » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:22 pm

Thank you both for your help.

Tim

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:37 pm