How can i prevent back flow in my soil waste.
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

m7ohn
Tradesman
Tradesman

How can i prevent back flow in my soil waste.

by m7ohn » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:30 pm

I've just installed a new ground floor toilet into an existing waste which drops vertically into the drain invert below approx 500mm below (definately greater than 450mm as i know this is the minimum)
Placed upstream about 1 metre of the toilet waste point of entry into the drain i have located a mini inspection chamber which is where my kitchen sink and washing machine discharges into.
The chamber is on an incline from the toilet and then continues inclining to the kitchen sink.

Just this morning i used my toilet for the first time for a number 2 and after flushing i stuck my head into the inspection chamber and observed some of my waste flowing back into the chamber before the flow changed direction to go back into the sewer, but some solid waste remained at the base of the inspection chamber. I flushed this all through by running the kitchen tap which flushed water through the inspection chamber back to sewer.

My toilet waste is the first on a spur into the main sewer as shown on the regional sewer plan.

Is this normal or should i be concerned? What can i do to remedy it?

Cheers

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:22 pm