How close to neighbours driveway can extension be?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dibdob
Labourer
Labourer

How close to neighbours driveway can extension be?

by dibdob » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:16 am

Hi there, We are an unexpetedly growing family and need more space !! We live in a detached 2 storey house (triangle/chalet style), with long single width drive up side. Our neighbours have a drive way right beside ours. At the top end of our driveways, and to the rear of the houses we both have separate flat roof garages. There is no fence or anything between our drives at the moment. We are trying to think of feasible ways to extend our house. The obvious thought is to knock down the existing garage and build a new garage to the side connected to house, with a bedroom above. Question is, is this allowed...how close to their driveway could our new garage be? As the drive way is just single width, I have a horrible feeling this may not be feasible??? (But really hoping it is!!)...would really hate to move as we have done so much to the house etc and love it here! Any clarification or advice is greatly appreciated. Many thank.

AndiePricie
Tradesman
Tradesman

by AndiePricie » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:43 am

Hi

You should be able to build right up to the boundary line of the driveway. You would need to form an inset gutter at the roof level so it does not encroach over the boundary.

You will find that your Planning Department will want you to offset the two storey extension at the front(may be up to 1M)

Speak to your local Building Control Dept. and remember that you will need to give notice to your neighbours under the Party Wall Act if you do decide to go ahead.

End

dibdob
Labourer
Labourer

by dibdob » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:35 pm

Many thanks for your reply - very much appreciated. I will speak to building control dept, and am so glad to hear this could be a possibility. Sorry to be a pain, may I ask exactly what you mean by 'offset the two storey extension at the front'.

Thanks again

AndiePricie
Tradesman
Tradesman

by AndiePricie » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi

I mean the front wall will need to be stepped back from the main house front wall. Can have an impact on the front rooms.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1