How close to the central heating pump can i branch off ?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
plymplumb1
Labourer
Labourer

How close to the central heating pump can i branch off ?

by plymplumb1 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:09 pm

I would like to add a radiator to my central heating system which is heated up via a gas fuelled back boiler. I only have two radiators on the system at present and i have checked that the flow and return is run on 22mm copper pipe. The system also incorporates a pump which is next to the back boiler. My question is, How close to the pump can you branch off ? I have noted that the flow and return for the two radiators from the back boiler go under a concrete floor so i am hoping to branch off before this, just after the pump, is this possible ? Many thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:33 am

The proximity to the pump is really not relevant here except to consider the radiator may need to be carefully balanced so as not to rob the other rads of hot water.

Remember unless the water is gravity fed, the hot water and heating particularly through the pump share the same pipes so you may find the rad heats when the water only is on.

You don't mention whether you intend to tee off in front of or behind the pump, which way round the pump is or whether it is in the flow or return.

To answer the question directly, you can tee off at any point.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1