How do i connect new light fittings in living room?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Alicia
Labourer
Labourer

How do i connect new light fittings in living room?

by Alicia » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:45 pm

Trying to connect 2 new light fittings in living room which both run off same light switch. One hole has three cables coming through it the other has two. Wires are brown blue grey black and some have different sleeves on them. Earth is ok know what to do with that. Connected first fitting fine and it worked. Attempted to fit second and either nothing or second fitting comes on when power is returned but will not go off via light switch :?: Getting very frustrated, dont want to ask a man as dont want to look like a WOMAN!!!! First time i have tried this so hope someone can help me

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:02 am

See our project on replacing a light fitting to understand how switches work to lights. Then look at our project on two way switches.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:33 pm

Hi Alicia, you say same sw. but is it a double sw. ie one for each light?
Reason for? is you seem to have odd colour combo. there . Do cores come from one cable or are there 2 cables? see what colours are at second light, which prob. loop from first one with common neutral and poss. 2 switch wires one to first light and other to be connected to second lights sw.-line. If this is so then at sw.you will see what colour is to working light & which should loop on to other one.
sounds worse than it is, take note of any over-sleeving colours and repost,
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:25 pm