how much does it cost to have your radiators flushed???
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pima
Labourer
Labourer

how much does it cost to have your radiators flushed???

by pima » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:39 pm

I think i need to get my radiators flushed because my central heating breaks down once a week and leaves my house freezing.
i have a 2 bed terrace house with 7 radiators.

How much approximetly will i get charged for this service???

pima
Labourer
Labourer

by pima » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:11 pm

just recived a quote for £350. does that sound about right or am i beeing riped off?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Quite expensive and not normally necessary.

Why do you think your system needs flushing ?
How does it go off once a week ?
what happens ?
who repairs it ?

pima
Labourer
Labourer

by pima » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:20 am

2 different plumbers have repaired it over the last two weeks and they both said that it could need to be flushed out. but neither of them provided that service so the quote is from a third company.

the heating takes aprox 2 hours to start working properly after the timer has started and if i put it on constant it doesn't always start at all and the house is frezing cold. we don't have a room thermostat.

the plumber said it could be an air lock and/or sludge in the system, but we bleed the radiators like every month cause there in always something wrong with them...

any sugestions?

frogger
Tradesman
Tradesman

by frogger » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:39 pm

Sounds like the cold feed is blocked, try draining some water from the system and see if the header tank empties, let me know the outcome

roger196
Ganger
Ganger

by roger196 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:18 pm

When the rads eventually come on, if they hot at the top and cold at the bottom, then they are sludged up inside. The simplest way of cleaning them, is to take each radiator off the wall and flush thru with a hosepipe. Remember to drain the system first. Also be careful not to drop any of the nasty black sludge on your carpets.
If the rads are hot at the bottom and cold at the top, the problem is air in the rads.
If neither of these apply, the problem is with the pump or the boiler. To check the pump, if it is external to the boiler, hold the pipes gently about ten inches either side of the pump. If both get equally hot within a couple of minutes, the pump is working. You will also feel a slight vibration.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:21 pm

what did they check ?

It could be the pump isn't working correctly, maybe the inpeller has came away from the motor, it would still heat up but would take a couple of hours like you say.

It could be the diverter valve.

Did they remove a radiator to check for sludge etc ?

Whats the boiler make and model ?

What do you mean you bleed them because there's something wrong with them ? air in the system ?

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1