How to replace a section of Common drain whilst its in use.
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CDG
Labourer
Labourer

How to replace a section of Common drain whilst its in use.

by CDG » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:36 am

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can offer some advice on this subject. Basically i'm replacing a 5m section of clay drainage pipe with PVC, I have the 2 flexible couplers, 6m length of pipe, 450mm Inspection Chamber (Base/Risers/Lid). All fine.

The only problem/puzzle i seem to be unable to resolve technically is the fact that the drain is a common drain and runs from 3 properties including mine along the rear of the property. So what is the procedure for replacing this section of pipe and not getting covered in foul from these properties. Or is it cut and hope..

All suggestions and advice will be gladfully received and gratefully appreciated..

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Talk to your neighbours, ask for their help in staying away from the toilet (or at least the flush handle!)........Then cut and hope

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:14 am

You can buy a plug that fits in the pipe screws up and temporarily blocks it.

Even if your neigbours help, someone will forget and flush the toilet. You can probably hear it coming for about 5-10 seconds before the surprise arrives.

Good luck.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:41 am

Quickly.

You can ask all neighbours not to use toilets and run taps etc - but there'll always be one that will, maybe not on purpose - unless you've upset them in the past.

You could use a bung/plug as plumbob says, but if someone uses the toilet it'll all be waiting behind the plug when you remove it.

Just ask neighbours, then do the job. You'll hear if any water is coming, just be ready to get out of the way - maybe get the waders out of the shed.

htg

CDG
Labourer
Labourer

by CDG » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:56 pm

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated..

Think i'm going to just cut and hope.. Hopefully i'll survive the back wash..

:) Regards

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:41 pm