how to safely fix a previous owners bad job
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
flateric
Labourer
Labourer

how to safely fix a previous owners bad job

by flateric » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:36 pm

It seems a simple enough job, the previous owner has put a storage area in the roof space of the garage by laying planks across the existing beams.

the centre beam is now sagging badly and seems to be dropping because of the extra weight now carried by it.

I thiunk the easiest way to solve this is to use some form of jack and push the joist back up in to its correct position and secure it in a better way.

The main thing i want to know is, is it likely by doing this i might make the problem worse?

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

bent garage roof rafter

by greengrass » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:08 am

Why is it everyone seems to think jobs like this 'Seem smple.
It's that simple if you try jacking up the bent rafter with an acrow jack you could make things worse and lift the roof. Plus it's so simple the last owner didn't do it. I suspect he could see how difficult it can be.

Can't say how you'd do it except to add 6 x 2 inch joists along side the what seems to be 3INCH OR 4 x2inch joists .

A suggestion is to Cut the ends at the top of each end of the 6x2's to fit into the roof angle. DON'T notch the bottom instad to fit over the wall plate or you'll be back to square one. You will obviously have to remove tiles at eaves and cut the battens to get the new rafters in. Bolt each end to the roof rafter or secure with cut nails into the wall plate at an angle when the boarding is screwed down to the new joists it will tie everything together.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:02 am