How to take out a hump in a suspended timber floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
daz103no
Labourer
Labourer

How to take out a hump in a suspended timber floor

Post by daz103no » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:13 pm

I am due to take up a laminate floor in my lounge and replace it with an engineered oak floor. In general, the floor is good and flat apart from one small area, where there is a hump. If you drew a circle around the base of the hump it would measure approx 30 inch diameter max and is around 5mm high.
It is just noticeable with the laminate covering, and I think it will be the same if not more obvious with the engineered floor. It is close to a doorway and the door does catch the top of the hump when its opened.
The only thing I can think of doing to flatten the hump is to take up the floor boards and plane some timber off the top of the joist before re-fitting the boards. The house was built in the early 60`s and obviously has a suspended timber floor.
Am I thinking along the correct lines to remedy this? Can anyone tell me a better way to do this?
Thanks Darren

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:31 pm

daz103no,
"take up the floor boards and plane some timber off the top of the joist before re-fitting the boards" Yes but use straight-edge over the joists to make sure you have removed the hump.
end

JustinBarley
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JustinBarley » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:11 pm

If the timber is so old you might have to replace the whole thing...
The most common reason for humps to appear on your laminate or timber floors
is moist or a water spill ...
you might be able to replace the damaged timber
but you might have to order the replacement timber to be made custom...
simply 'cuz if your flooring is old it might be hard to find the same type

moving company London

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:50 pm