Ideal combi boiler.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
XDB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ideal combi boiler.

Post by XDB » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:41 am

I have been at my present address only a week. It is fitted with an I deal combi boiler in the attic feeding 8 rads. it has a honeywel wireless thermo programmer. I am having problems with the boiler which I am told is 2 years old. I am constantly having to go into the attic to reset the boiler to get it fire up. It seems reluctant to give hot water unless the central heating is on as well. when the programm is set to a low temperature and the boler is on, one radiator the only one without a trv is warm all the time.

I had a corgi engineer in, of course everything worked when he was there, he did say Ideal boilers are useless!! even new ones.

The light on the front of the boiler flashes I can hear a pump working even though no heat is coming out. The casing on the pump on the right of the boiler is too hot to touch. any solutions please.

XDB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by XDB » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:30 pm

It has stopped working altogether, the boiler fires up then appears to go out the light on the front flashes, I am getting error code 7 and H alternately. I have found a leak on the hot water to manifold joint. Its soldered so I suppose the whole system will have to be drained to effect a repair.

XDB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by XDB » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:55 pm

I will inform the forum of the latest position, I found an installers manual on the web, error code 7 is a flue temperature sensor but it may be caused by air in system. I started at the pump i removed the centre plug and bled it. The system then fired up, but there was a lot of air in the system I had to bleed nearly every radiator. I don't know where the air is coming from. When I reduced the room temperature I was back to square one, no hot water at the taps.

The lack of any helpful advice, in fact any advice at all, means I will have to try and sort the problem myself. I think the inventor of the combi boiler deserves a quick kick in the nuts.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:54 pm

Combi's are good boilers when you now what you're doing - fiddling with a boiler will never repair it get an RGI in.

From Friday 17th at 9:41am to Saturday 18th at 4:55pm - you expect a solution that quick even though it takes time for your post to be moderated too, so probably only been on here for 24 hours ? we also have our own lives.

htg

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:15 am

Its an Ideal - nuff said

As per Htg get an RGI

XDB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by XDB » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:52 am

I have had 2 RGIs the only thing they were expert at was writing the bill. I have a third RGI coming to rip this thing out and replace it with something more reliable. There is a limit to the number of times a disabled person can be expected to climb into the loft to keep resetting the boiler to have a shower. At my last address I had a Baxi conventional boiler that was very efficient and reliable, I fail to see what a combi has to offer other than grief and expense. I am puzzled why anyone would have a boiler in such an unaccessable place as an attic when there is sufficient room elsewhere.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:33 pm

So get your own boiler - where you want it. Sorted.

htg

XDB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by XDB » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:42 pm

[quote][b]So get your own boiler - where you want it. Sorted.[/b][/quote]

Cheers I certainly will

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:21 am

Perhaps a disabled person shouldn't buy/live in a place where the boiler is in the loft :shock:

Or the fridge etc :wink:

XDB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by XDB » Fri May 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Just a final update, I had a new Baxi Duo tech boiler fitted. The difference is amazing, sadly it is still in the loft but doesn't require daily visits thank goodness.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat May 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Good choice - much better than your last boiler.

htg

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1