ignitor keeps trying
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

ignitor keeps trying

by 333rocky333 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:04 am

Today i visited someone , there was a noise coming from the potterton boiler on inspection the thing was running and you could see the flames but every one second the ignitor thing could be seen sparking.and the flame dipped slightly and came back up, this was continuous and was told it always done it!!

The flame lamp and the lockout lamp also flashed as it did this sometimes every second for over a minute

They said that a boiler engineer had said it was ok and the fault was external to the boiler

AS I am not corgi All I could do was check the spur supply for them,
I admit though I did remove the cover TO LOOK.

The only other things were a potterton 2000 timer,room stat, a 3 way motor valve a 2way N/C motor valve and what looked like a cylinder stat.

1. Am I allowed to take off the boiler cover to look as long as I dont touch I am an elect but not corgi
2.Would the ext stuff cause this problem as it is only seconds between the sparks
3. Could he temporary discon the ext wires and link out to just run the boiler to prove to us it is ok.
4. As the timer etc is remote from the boiler but fed from the same spur do you need to be corgi to test them if you DONT touch the boiler.

I am not going to fix it as we called out a third engineer just intrigued what it could be
Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:27 pm

It's against the law for anyone but a CORGI registered installer to work on gas appliances. -

If you only removed the boiler case, that shouldn't be a problem as you haven't changed or adjusted anything.

If you removed the comcustion chamber cover, then it is vital it is put back correctly, as if the seal isn't made properly it can be fatal.

The fault could problem with the flame sensing electrode, spark electrode/generator or PCB.

My bet is crossed polarity - the boiler would still work but not as well as it should (you get minor faults like you mention) had this before on a Baxi Combi - check spur switch wiring. leave a mesage for SPARX in the electrical forum if you need any help.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:05 am

Thanks
It WAS only the white cover/trim that i removed just to look at flame as it was plain and there was no viewing window in it.
Did not touch anything else
A heating eng been today and is ordering a pcb, hopefully he will sort it for them.
Thanks again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1