Immersion / Hot Water Help
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
spdp5tc
Labourer
Labourer

Immersion / Hot Water Help

by spdp5tc » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:04 pm

Have a direct cylinder with two immersions that just deals with the hot water. Now as I understand it the bottom immersion is linked to an MCB on a separate (Memorex I think) unit, which draws off peak electricity (we have Heatwise tariff econ 10). The top immersion (boost) is linked direct to an MCB on the main consumer unit.

Following no hot water I presumed the element rather than the stat had gone and have called an electrician who is coming out next Tuesday (quite a while with no hot water) to check and replace. Quite rightly he suggested we put on the top immersion, which I had already done, to at least get some hot water. However, having now left this overnight, we still have no hot water. I’ve checked the wiring on both immersions and switches for loose connections, that’s about as far as my checking knowledge would go, and both MCB’s have not tripped at any point.

I’m guessing that maybe both immersions have gone (I would have thought unlikely, as although the top one is not used I’m sure it was working when we moved in 18 months ago) or the bottom one has gone and whilst writing this thinking maybe the top one needs me to probably press the blue boost switch (I’m sure I’ve seen one but never had cause to use it) on the electric meter outside.

Any help would be gratefully accepted. It’s starting to feel like Chinese torture with both heating and hot water going over the last two months. Costing me a fortune as well.

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:45 pm

spdp5tc,
Your diagnosis is probably right - both IH have failed. The electrician will be able to confirm this, it should take about 10 minutes to test them.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:25 pm