In Series Ceiling Lights problems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nickbowyer
Labourer
Labourer

by Nickbowyer » Tue May 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi,
I am having a problem with an in series set of four ceiling lights working from one, one way switch. All four lights were working fine but now only the first light in the series seems to work. All the bulbs are working fine and when i check the connections from the first light junction box to the second it seems fine.
Any ideas as to why the other three may have stopped working??

Thanks

Nickbowyer :(

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue May 31, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi,
just to be correct your string of lights are wired in parallel not series, otherwise, like xmas tree lights of old, 'one out all out' (Union joke!).

Presume 1st jb has feed, switch line and loop on to first light., then into next jb and so on.
If so then as first light works the fault must be at that lights jb or the next one.
Loose wire or possibly screwdone up on insulation not copper conductor,

Nickbowyer
Labourer
Labourer

by Nickbowyer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 am

Thanks Sparx,
Will double check all wiring into the four jbs. First three lights have wires in and out but last one only has wires in. Does that mean it is in parallel?
Lights are arranged in a square and i would have thought sequence went round the square but would electrician have put diagonal wires in i.e first across to third back to second then across to fourth? seems a bit illogical but just wondered if there would be any good reason for doing it that way?

Many thanks :(

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:39 am

It is likely only the first lamp has a loop connection. (Centre terminal) All others will only have the outer terminals used and earth. And each lamp will have same wires in same terminals except for first one.

Likely the switched line on first lamp will have a black wire and a red wire connecting to lamp. All others likely red wire connecting to another red wire and lamp. Last one just single red wire.

If you have not worked on lamps likely a bad connection. Turn off power and then lightly pull on each wire and see if any lose.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:11 pm