Increasing loft insulation
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dg_walters
Labourer
Labourer

Increasing loft insulation

by dg_walters » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:39 pm

I have some existing loft insulation which appears to be the loose fill material, but I dont think there is enough - so i am considering adding to this with either rolls of insulation or the foil backed stuff.
I am not going to be walking on this as it is only a dormer loft and is not high enough, but the space will be used for storage of suitcases etc.
Any ideas on what to use?

page6159
Apprentice
Apprentice

by page6159 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:09 pm

if the loose fill is up to the height of the existing floor joists you can just insulate straight over the top with space blanket encapsulated insulation. B and Q sell the stuff! make sure you roll it out at 90 degrees to the joists. and make sure you never cover any electrical cables! You may need to increase the height of the joists in a small section and then board it over for storage space. You can do this by screwing some 4x2 timber again at right angles to the existing joists then screwing chipboard/ply/osb to the top. some people just squash the insulation down in a small area and board directly onto the old joists to create a little boarded area to store you xmas tree! this kinda defeats the point in the extra insulation thought as it works by trapping air. dont forget to also add a square or rigid insulation (100mm thick polystyrene or similar) to the inside of the loft hatch. Just stick it down with some gripfill.
There you go, good luck and have fun spending all that extra cash you will save on your heating bills!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:38 am