Information about the easyfit white plastic 15mm water pipes
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
XPC465
Apprentice
Apprentice

Information about the easyfit white plastic 15mm water pipes

Post by XPC465 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:17 pm

I do hope that this is not a silly question, but I would like the opinion of a qualified plumber.
Some years ago, I fitted an outside tap in the rear garden, as an extra extension from the outside tap at the side of the bungalow. I fixed this using about 6 metres of copper 15mm piping, connected by compression joints.
Although I surrounded the pipe with the foam type lagging, purchased at B & Q, the pipes burst every winter, and in fact 2 pipes in the line burst
a few weeks ago.
Today I removed the foam type lagging, and started to repair the 2 burst pipes, lagging them this time in the old felt strip lagging.
Before I complete this task, could a qualified plumber, or someone with experience tell me whether or not the quick fit plastic 15mm pipes are less likely to burst in frost, or is there no difference with the pipes.
If the white quick fit 15mm pipes ARE LESS likely to burst with the frost
I will replace the copper pipes with them, before lagging them.
Many thanks for all advice given on this matter.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Post by acsimpson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:29 am

I'm not a qualified plumber but I beleive that the plastic piping is less likley to burst than copper, particularly if you buy one which states this on it.

Lagging a pipe slows down the time it takes to freeze but unless there is some form of warmth being applied to the pipe (from inside or out) then it will still eventually freeze. Even cold water flowing in the pipe is warm compared to ice but if it's not flowing then it keeps getting colder until it freezes. The only way to stop an outside pipe with statiionary water in it from freezing is to drain it in cold weather or bury it below the frost level so that the ambient temperature will not fall below freezing.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:20 am