Informing local council of when converting your garage changing the use of it to a habitable room
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
drennan
Labourer
Labourer

Informing local council of when converting your garage changing the use of it to a habitable room

Post by drennan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:52 pm

I bought my house 11 years ago the garage is attached to the front of the house, and there is a door in the porch way as you enter the house that leads to the garage with 2 steps down into it. The garage space already had a window inplace and a light fitting from the ceiling also flooring was down it looked like it had been raised off the concrete by beams and then boarded with some type of insulation. We converted this space into a bedroom by insulating the walls and the ceiling and putting in a radiator under the window and building a wall at one end where the doors are, this wall has fire protection? we kept a small amount of storage space at the front and the garage doors. No building plans were sought and i dont have building regs?? The builder seems to think i told him i wouldnt need thembecause i said i would never be moving? Hmmm dont think so some how? I am now trying to sell the property, it is on as a three bedroom come play room/occasional bedroom. Will i be made to get building regs for this work that was done over 7 years ago? Any advice on this matter would be of great help.[/b]

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

garage conversion

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:24 am

You need to inform the local council of any change to your property,When converting your garage your changing the use of it to a habitable room.Building regulations apply for your safety.
You have to inform the council and may be able to apply for retrospective planning,Building control will come and access the conversion,only when they are satisfied will you be able to advertise it as an extra bedroom.If any problems occured with the conversion after you sold the property you can be held responsible.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1