Inspection of Work Before Scaffolding is Removed but not Allowed on Scaffold?
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Norman Dee
Labourer
Labourer

Inspection of Work Before Scaffolding is Removed but not Allowed on Scaffold?

by Norman Dee » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:53 am

This is not really a DIY job, as I had to get a roofing company to do some repairs on my roof. They insisted that they will only do the job using a full scaffold, pushing the cost to more than 5 times the cost of the roof repairs.
Since I had to pay for the scaffold, I asked them to replace the fascias, soffits and guttering at the same time.
My dilemma is that they say I am not allowed on their scaffolding in order to inspect their work.
They brought another one of their guys to check the work and he was happy with it, obviously.
I had a look from a couple of windows and found they had caused a lot of damage to the archway brickwork above one window and several other places adjacent to where they had done the work.
I am about to ask them to come back and re-inspect the work but this time, looking for damage to my property.
They insist that nobody is allowed on their scaffolding, and there is no way for me to put my ladder without getting it on the scaffolding.
I feel that I cannot trust them to report and problems and that I am the only person who can do proper checks.
Is there any way I can do the inspection without breaking any laws / regulations.

Any useful constructive comments will be greatly appreciated.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Inspection of Work Before Scaffolding is Removed but not Allowed on Scaffold?

by welsh brickie » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Officially , health and safety rules state, that only authorized personal use the scaffold,
If you want to inspect any work, then you are responsible for your own safety.
Now, if it was my house I would want to inspect the work, so I would use the scaffold. that's all I am saying

Norman Dee
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Inspection of Work Before Scaffolding is Removed but not Allowed on Scaffold?

by Norman Dee » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:11 pm

Just as I thought.
I think the company is just using bullying and scare-mongering tactics to dissuade me from inspecting their work until the scaffolding has been taken away.
But, by then they might turn around and say that's not how they left it.
Basically, it's a bunch of cowboys hiding behind a fancy name company. Any decent company should be proud to show you their work.

Thanks for the response.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:37 am