Installing a new gas fire, What are my options?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
spektral
Labourer
Labourer

Installing a new gas fire, What are my options?

Post by spektral » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:45 pm

Firstly just wanted to say what a great forum this is. Its really helped me out with various projects I've had around the house :D

ok so heres my question

I have removed my old fire and back boiler and want to fit a new fire:

Sorry didnt realise i wasnt allowed to post links. Buts its a "Valor B&Q Inset Multiflue Gas Fire"

The chimney it self is pretty sound and has the flue liner still in place. I have tested it with smoke matches and there is good air flow, and its doesnt seem to be leaking. I have been told that i need a metal flue box, the problem with that is the lintel is about 4cm to low to fit one. So i would have to get that raised as well as buying the flue box :(.

The fire it self says its "multi-flue". It says i can use a flue box, a pre-cast concrete or clay flue block system or using an existing opening in a "hole-in-the-wall Installation" with this option the manual states that you an either use a clear masonry chimney or with a correctly installed flue liner with a min dia of 125mm that is sealed to the surrounding area above the fireplace and to the top of the chimney.

What do you guys think would be the best/cheapest option for me? Would it be possible to do a hole-in-the-wall istallation using some kind of gather hood sealed with fire cement above the fire ?

Thanks for your help, Spektral.

keitht
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by keitht » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:01 pm

yes aslong as you seal it up at the bottom with heat resistant material. or u could have the flexible flue liner taken out and a chimney pot put on which would cost a bit extra

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:14 am