Installing ceiling light and socket in house extention

Postby tom thumb » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:59 am

I want to install a ceiling light and power socket to a ground floor extention, a task I am more than capable of carrying out myself. But as I understand by law I am not allowed to do this as it is classed as a new building. (I'm not a qualified electrician by the way).
Is there any other way round this. Or do I have no alternative, but to contact an electrician. At the end of the day it's that certificate that I need.
tom thumb
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:29 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:56 pm

In theory you can still do it. But you must inform building control first and you must be able to complete the installation certificate. The latter is a problem for two reasons.
1. You need to show your skilled enough to do the work.
2. You need test equipment with traceable records.
If you can fill in the paperwork which is not straight forward then building control may consider you are skilled enough but since the test equipment needs traceable records borrowing it from work is not really an option must be all official to be able to access records.
What I suggest is to go to projects page and follow links to Part P then down load the PDF and look at the sample forms. If you can't understand them then give up and get an electrician if you can understand it then look to see how much you can hire a test set for. Also how much it costs to submit the forms to building control. Then consider if you will really save any money? Some counties are really OTT with charges and others are quite low so you must do this for your area. If you still want to go ahead with DIY check with inspector that he will accept your signature. One way around it is to find a electrician who will allow you to labour for him so he tells you what to do, you do as your told, then he tests it and signs the forms. But he must be in control if you do your own thing then ask him to test it he can only complete and inspection and test cert and you need a new installation cert.
For such a small job I would recommend you get an electrician to do it. But if I said that without telling you how to DIY you would think I am just making work for our trade. It seems for years they have wanted to remove demarcation with the Unions fighting to keep it and no sooner did they get there way and then they passed a law restoring it?

Postby tom thumb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:38 am

Thanks for the reply. As its such a small job, probably wont cost much to get someone else to do it for me.
tom thumb
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:29 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics