Installing downlights in a kitchen - ventilation and wiring?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tony W
Labourer
Labourer

Installing downlights in a kitchen - ventilation and wiring?

Post by Tony W » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:40 pm

I'm in the middle of having a new kitchen fitted and the builder discovered that the downlights have been over-heating and one of them was melting. He recommended I fit fire safe downlights instead. I was told it would be easy to do, similar to wiring a plug.

However, I am not sure how much ventilation to allow around the lights regarding roof insulation and joists. Also the existing cable is classed as BS 6500 3183Y CCC/FKZ BASEC and I am not sure if this is right?? The replacement downlights are 240V GU10 acoustic rated fire protection 50W max - 2 adjustable and 4 fixed.

There are two switches for these lights at either end of the kitchen. One is a single the other is a triple which is also connected to under unit strip lights and outside wall lights.

Cheers

Tony W

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Installing downlights in a kitchen - ventilation and wir

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:13 am

[quote="Tony W"]I'm in the middle of having a new kitchen fitted and the builder discovered that the downlights have been over-heating and one of them was melting. He recommended I fit fire safe downlights instead. I was told it would be easy to do, similar to wiring a plug.

However, I am not sure how much ventilation to allow around the lights regarding roof insulation and joists. Also the existing cable is classed as BS 6500 3183Y CCC/FKZ BASEC and I am not sure if this is right?? The replacement downlights are 240V GU10 acoustic rated fire protection 50W max - 2 adjustable and 4 fixed.

There are two switches for these lights at either end of the kitchen. One is a single the other is a triple which is also connected to under unit strip lights and outside wall lights.

Cheers

Tony W[/quote]

TONY W
GET YOUR BUILDER TO HAVE HIS PART P SPARK CHECK
THIS OUT 4 U.
IT IS NOTIFIABLE WORK.

BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:20 pm